One Year In London – Part 2

Sunday, 7 August 2016




Here's the second part to my recap post "One Year in London". Read the Part 1 here.

January 2016
The second semester of school didn’t start until the end of January, so I worked full time at the PR-agency before that. When the semester started I worked at the PR-agency two days a week instead.

I was really excited for all my classes this semester. Especially journalism, and I did not get disappointed. That class ended up being my favourite one.

February 2016
February was quiet. I studied and worked mostly. Cornelia and I went out some weekends, but we were so busy with all assignments. Instead we started to workout a lot at the gym and it was at this time I started to run on the treadmill and fell in love with working out more and living more healthy. Before that I mostly did pilates and yoga, but I started to enjoy running and going to the gym as well.

On my 20th birthday my dad and his wife surprised me and came to London. They spoiled me with dinner at Jamie’s Italian. I didn’t really care that much about my birthday, but just the fact that they took the time to visit me for just one day meant a lot. My little London family (Cornelia, Theresa and Vittorio) also spoiled me that weekend. Cornelia took me out for brunch and in the evening we had dinner night in the flat and I got loads of presents.

Mars 2016
Four of my closets girlies from Sweden came to visit me in the beginning of Mars. It was so much fun having them here and to show them around. On the last night we went to have dinner at Bill’s. I ordered a halloumi burger, and that was the last time I had cheese and started to eat fully vegan. I had been having thoughts around veganism for the last two months and that was enough. I felt so guilty eating that cheese so that was it.

April 2016
A lot happened this month. It was the last month in school before graduation. The second semester flew by and I was done with my year at London College of Fashion. I had been dreaming of this school for years, and now it was over. I felt happy but sad at the same time. 

Cornelia had decided to move back home after graduation, but I was quite confused about what I wanted. I decided to stay for a while anyway and worked part time at the PR-agency and part time at the clothing store Monki where I got a job.

Very conveniently, two friends from Sweden moved to London at the same time as I needed to find a new place to live. I couldn’t afford to live in the room we had in Hammersmith by myself. I was also eager to move to East London, since that’s where I feel I belong. It’s more artsy and interesting compared to West London. I packed my things and moved to the other side of the city to a flat in Bethnal Green.

May 2016
The girls at Monki where amazing and they made my days, but the actual work… I didn’t enjoy retail. Even though I didn’t have a full time contract, I got more hours and didn’t have time to work at the PR-agency (since I got more paid at Monki I took those hours instead). I kept on working but felt unhappy. I didn’t get to do something I felt joy doing.

Therefore, I started this blog. I needed to be creative in some way. The blog aloud me to be creative through text and pictures. I had something to put my focus on, which made me happy. To my surprise, other people seem to like what I did as well.



June 2016
I don’t think I’ve ever been so confused in my entire life as I was in June. Thing was, I got offered a full time position both at Monki AND the PR-agency. I was so happy that I even got the opportunity for these positions, but somewhere inside I knew that I didn’t want to do this. I didn’t want to stay in London living on a minimum wage. Everyone think London is so fun all the time, but it’s tough! It’s an expensive city and you have to work all the time to afford to live here, and even though you work all the time you barely have any money left at the end of the month.

After a lot of phone calls talking to my dad, I decided to not take any of the jobs. I knew I needed to go back to Sweden and get a break. I didn’t want to stay in London for a job I wasn’t passionate about.

At the end of June I got an email from The Sunday Times Style saying that they needed a fashion intern for two weeks in July (I had applied for an internships at a lot of different magazines months ago). It wouldn’t be a paid internship, but since I knew I was going home to Sweden soon anyway I thought it was worth it.



July 2016
And was it worth it? Definitely! You might have followed me here on the blog when I was there, and maybe you noticed how much I enjoyed it. I learnt a lot and got to meet a lot of people in the industry. It was the perfect end to my year here in London.

August 2016
That’s where we are now. After a two hour flight and one and a half hour car journey with a lunch break at Max, (Sweden’s best burger chain that offers THREE vegan burgers!) I’m back in Sweden. In little Örebro. It feels weird and good to be back home. At the moment though I’m just going to live here and now and then we’ll see what I decide to do next.

2 comments

  1. I bet being in London for a year is exciting! I hope you keep having an awesome time!

    My Vogue Style | www.myvoguestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best things I've done! Thank you! x

      Delete

Copyright © Olivias vegan life
Design by Fearne